Do you have experience with managing a project from research phase over development to final implementation of the product? Do you have an excellent and up-to-date knowledge of communications techniques and a proven track record in production of websites, newsletters and printed materials? Do you have experience in political communications, media relations and storytelling? Then you could be the Programme Associate that we are looking for.
The Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) works for feminist peace through disarmament and women's rights. As a member of WILPF’s dedicated Women, Peace and Security programme, PeaceWomen, you will be the focal point for our comprehensive and well known website on women, disarmament, and human security. You will be in charge of overseeing the implementation of our messaging as well as our monitoring and outreach. Moreover, in 2017 we are focusing our work to do more in depth advocacy. For this, we need an experienced person, who can be in charge of implementing these projects from the initial research to final hands-on implementation.
The Programme Associate should be a highly motivated and politically driven individual. This role has responsibility to support the role of the Programme Director and to implement designated Women, Peace and Security (WPS) projects, over all programme communications, on WPS monitoring, and to act as a focal point for PeaceWomen website with support from a team of fellows/interns. As such, it is essential that you have demonstrated skills in managing volunteers or staff and liaising with global collaborators. Priority consideration will be given to applicants with campaign experience or expertise in communicating issues of gender, security, or global politics.
Advance WILPF work on WPS including:
• Attend, monitor, and report on multilateral meetings on WPS issues. This involves working with team and partners to ensure project completion around monitoring of the Security Council, Member States, and United Nations
• Research and publish annual Security Council Scorecard and support development of briefing materials on Feminist Security Council Agenda for peace
• Support the director in relationships with key NGO partners, UN entities and Member State representatives to the UN.
• Support WILPF’s engagement in events, such as the Commission on the Status of Women.
• Support event organisation and logistical arrangements for meetings on WPS work.
• Identify opportunities for projects to advance WILPF’s visibility, goals, and policies.
• Maintain the PeaceWomen website and social media in consultation with the director and the communications manager
• Manage outreach and communications, and act as PeaceWomen liaison on outreach.
• Assist and/or coordinate in the creation of all publications and newsletters
• Support website and monitoring work
• Act as main liaison with technical team and provide technical support for programme
• Assist with research, writing, and editing PeaceWomen newsletters, publications, fact sheets, and other outreach material
Oversee the development and implementation of specific projects in coordination with the programme director.
Assist operations of the programme including assisting fundraising through the contributing to drafting or updating proposals and reporting to funders. Supporting the programme in the monitoring of on-going work to ensure accuracy of activities vis-à-vis contractual and grant commitments.
Lead on recruiting, coordination, supervision, and management of WPS fellows/interns and identify ways to improve internship programme.
Respond to general requests to the PeaceWomen by email, mail and telephone, or delegating to, and supervising the carrying out of this responsibility by, others.
Assist in general maintenance of the PeaceWomen programme through performance of ad hoc tasks and responsibilities as mutually agreed with the relevant supervisor
Collaborate with WILPF Community to identify and create opportunities that support their work and advocacy on gender, disarmament, and peace including:
· Liaise with other WILPF teams to coordinate work.
· Coordinate and engage with WILPF’s sections related to work on WPS
Carry out other duties as required.
· WPS monitoring work at the UN Headquarters
· Updating and maintenance of the website
· Recruitment of fellows/interns
PA works closely with Programme Director, Communications manager and programme interns.
PA reports to the PD
· Quality of the WPS monitoring work
· Timely completion of the project and publication work
· Status of the website
· Management of fellows/interns
· Demonstrated commitment to WILPF’s values including feminist peace and gender equality is required.
· Expertise on WPS.
· Exceptional ability to motivate, mentor, and coordinate volunteers / trainees, and orchestrate effective communication among staff, interns / fellows, technical team, international staff, diplomatic and INGO partners, and global peace advocates.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Excellent planning, co-ordination and prioritisation skills, capable of rapid and quality turn around on a high workload
· Self-motivated, able to work independently, willing to learn, open minded, flexible
· Exemplary verbal and written communication skills in English with high attention to detail, copy editing and media brief writing.
· Other UN languages (especially Arabic or French) a plus
· Skills in CMS platforms, traditional and social media (press releases, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), and electronic newsletters (e.g., MailChimp).
The position requires:
A degree in gender, human rights, international relations, journalism, law, social science or a related field.
A minimum of 2 years of WPS work experience in a fast paced International non-profit organisation
To be considered for the WILPF PeaceWomen Programme Associate position, applicants should submit the following documents to: email@example.com.
Deadline for submission is Monday 1 May 2017. The subject of the e-mail should be “WILPF PeaceWomen Programme Associate Application” and all documents should be combined into one PDF or DOCX file.
No phone calls please. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Thank you!