Women are big winners in the cabinet appointed on Friday. The number of women ministers rose from 16 in the last cabinet to 22 in the new one.
Women now constitute 28% of the ministers. If the vacant post of Minister of State for East African Affairs is filled by a woman, the percentage will rise to 30%.
The women occupy key ministries like the trade and industry (Amelia Kyambadde), education (Jessica Alupo), finance (Maria Kiwanuka), energy (Irene Muloni), information and national guidance (Mary Karooro Okurut) and the ministry of health (Christine Androa).
Uganda is also has a female Speaker of Parliament (Rebecca Kadaga) for the first time.
List of Women Ministers
- Minister in charge of Presidency - Kabakumba Matsiko
- Minister for Karamoja - Janet Museveni
- Minister of Health - Christine Ondoa
- Minister of Education and Sports - Jessica Alupo
- Minister of Gender and Social Affairs - Syda Bbumba
- Minister of Information and National Guidance - Mary Karooro Okurut
- Minister of Finance and Economic Planning - Maria Kiwanuka
- Minister of State for Public Service - Ssezi Mbaguta.
- Minister of State for Lands - Sarah Ochieng Opendi
- Minister of State for Industry - Agnes Akiror
- Minister of State for Water - Betty Atuku Bigombe
- Minister of State for Environment - Flavia Nabugera Munaaba
- Minister of State for Gender and Culture - Lukia Isanga Nakadama
- Minister of State for Micro-Finance - Caroline Amali Okao
- Minister of Trade and Industry -Amelia Kyambadde
- Minister of Water and Environment - Maria Mutagamba
- Minister of State for Fisheries - Ruth Nankabirwa
- Minister of State for Teso Affairs - Christine Amongin Aporu
- Minister of State for Luweero Triangle - Rose Namayanja
- Minister of State for Northern Uganda - Rebecca Amuge Otengo
- Minister of State for Karamoja - Barbara Oundo Nekesa
- Minister of Energy and Minerals - Irene Muloni