These examples from the ground are concrete illustrations of ways in which a gender perspective has been integrated in different security sector institutions and security processes around the world. They can help policymakers, trainers and educators better
understand and demonstrate the linkages between gender and SSR.
The examples were compiled by DCAF based largely on publicly available research, data and reports. At times these were supplemented with material obtained from individuals and institutions directly involved.
The examples are organised around the following nine themes, for which a short introduction is provided at the beginning of each section:
• Police Reform and Gender
• Defence Reform and Gender
• Justice Reform and Gender
• Penal Reform and Gender
• Border Management and Gender
• Parliamentary Oversight of the Security Sector and Gender
• National Security Policy-Making and Gender
• Civil Society Oversight of the Security Sector and Gender
• SSR Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation and Gender
Since some of the examples are relevant to more than a single theme, the table on pages 4-5 is a key to the subject matter of each. It also identifies the examples addressing the cross-cutting issues of gender-based violence, peacekeeping and recruitment and retention of women in the security sector.