LSE’s research project Above the Parapet, at the Institute of Public Affairs, seeks to capture the experiences of senior women who have shaped public life. It aims to identify the contexts and individual factors that shape women’s journeys into senior life in several fields.
In light of the CSW focus on the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action, including current challenges for its implementation and the achievement of gender equality and women’s empowerment, this meeting will share relevant emerging lessons and hear from women about their own journeys. We look forward to sharing and to hearing from you at this side event.
• Dr Aurelia Frick, Liechtenstein’s Minister for Foreign Affairs, Education and Culture Panellists
• Dr Joyce Banda, former President of Malawi (2012-2014) and second female Head of State in Africa
• Zainab Hawa Bangura, Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary General on Sexual Violence in Conflict and former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Sierra Leone
• Madeleine Rees OBE, Secretary General of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom
• Dr Agnes Callamard, Director of the Colombia University’s Global Freedom of Expression Project and former Director of Article 19
• Dr Purna Sen, Deputy Director of the Institute of Public Affairs at the London School of Economics and Political Science and former Head of Human Rights, Commonwealth Secretariat