Women's International League for Peace and Freedom.
About the event:
The WPS Agenda is a powerful tool for sustainable and feminist peace. It obligates the UN and Member States to accelerate women’s meaningful participation, protection, and rights across the conflict spectrum. The unresolved conflicts across the MENA region, however, continue to demonstrate chronic challenges in implementing the WPS Agenda and achieving sustainable peace in the region.
This side event will bring together representatives of women’s rights organisations across the MENA region who will provide good practices, share recommendations for what the UN and Member States can do to realise their obligations, and support an enabling environment for women’s meaningful participation in peace processes in the MENA region.
• Stephen Hickey, Political Counsellor, United Kingdom to the UN
• Paivi Kannisto, UN Women Peace and Security Chief
• Rida Al Tubuly, Co-founder and Director, Together We Build It (Libya)
• Rawan Jubran Khaleel Zahran, International Advocacy and Fieldwork Coordinator, Women’s Center for Legal Aid and Counseling (WCLAC) (Palestine)
• Renas Jameel Hasan Zada, Deputy Director, Asuda for Combating Violence Against Women (Kurdistan region of Iraq)
• Rasha Jarhum, Peace Track Initiative (Yemen) via video
Event is open to public.
RSVP by 23 October 2017 to email@example.com.